Next: The Interstellar medium
Up: A Tutorial on Radio
Previous: Targeted searches
- Select survey parameters:
total integration time
suitable for finding a 0.6ms pulsar with a dispersion measure of 150
pccm and a flux density of 1mJy. Assume:
Observing frequency = 600 MHz
Pulse duty cycle is 20%
Hint: choose a channel bandwidth sufficiently narrow to to avoid dispersion
smearing of the pulsar.
- Is such a search presently feasible? Why?
- Calculate the radius of the light cylinder for pulsars with periods of
10.0, 1.0, 0.1, 0.01, 0.001 seconds
- Calculate how much a pin head, of neutron star material would weigh.
- Find out how many extragalactic pulsars are known
- Would it be possible to find a pulsar in the Andromeda galaxy? What
are the main difficulties involved?
Thu Dec 19 15:15:11 GMT 1996